Friday, April 3, 2009

Mumbai - A Re Acquaintance after 25 years.



25 years of separation from family, friends and childhood places bends the mind and forges an experience where emotions and physical perception are thrown into a conundrum.
The source of the conundrum lies in the extremities of perceptions of a 13 year old that have been suspended in space and time and the now 39 year old looking at the clock that has started ticking again.
The distillation of this twilight zone revealed some oddities and insights.
Personalities indeed are forged on the battles and celebrations of the playground and this remains essentially unchanged by time. My cousins while all grown up now are the same characters I used to play with back then. Little family genetic oddities - a similar birthmark to mine except on my cousins left hand, our similar likes and dislikes were interesting discoveries.
Spaces have shrunk - the highrise I used to live in is now just a little building. The gargantuan steps I used to lean against are mere stepping stones, The long road I took to school is merely half a block. The playground is no more replaced by commercial shopping center.

Check out my childhood stomping grounds and old school photos here:

No comments:

Post a Comment